Monday, July 27, 2015

Shabbat Nachamu

Va-et'chanan Deuteronomy 3:23–7:11

“Answering Unanswered Prayers”

Rabbi Dr. Tzvi Hersh Weinreb for The OU

Did you ever really pray for something you wanted? I mean, really fervently, desperately, pray hard for something that was vitally important to you?

If you did, and I think we all pray this way at moments of urgency, you violated an anonymous piece of wisdom:

“Be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it.”

I have not been able to determine who said that. But I know clearly what he meant. In my own life, I have had more than one occasion to look back at answered prayers, which achieved what turned out to be very trivial objectives. And I have certainly been disappointed in prayer, only to learn that in the long run, I was much better off without the benefits of whatever I prayed for so earnestly.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment